Monday, February 22, 2010

Psalm 44

The evening psalm from the Daily Office for today is Psalm 44. You can read it by clicking here. The psalm begins by recalling some of the amazing things that God has done in the past, that the author was told about by his ancestors. The psalmist then laments his present circumstances, declaring in verse 15, "All day long my disgrace is before me and shame has covered my face." Sounds pretty bleak to me. In the end, the cry goes up for God to awaken and come to their rescue.

As I reflected on this psalm, it made me think of our circumstances at Bethpage UMC. Many from the congregation have been quick to think back on days with a previous beloved pastor with great fondness and describe them in idyllic fashion. Laments were offered about the recent past and the present, sometimes suggesting that things should just go back to the way they were. And many of these folks have, sadly, left the church.

I wonder if they missed the last step from this psalm: to cry out for help from God and to wait for it. Because, you know what, help has come to us. There is a new energy, passion, and Spirit at Bethpage UMC. God is on the move, and it is exciting to be part of it. Our worship services have been enlivened, we have some small groups going for Lent that are studying about spiritual gifts, and the rebirth of WOW is just around the corner. God has indeed heard the cry and the prayer of those who have stood firm and stayed with the church through some difficult times. I give thanks for those who would not be swayed by circumstances but remained even though it would have probably been easier to leave. And I believe God is rewarding their faithfulness.

1 comment:

Emily. :) said...

Agreed. New, better things are coming. :)