Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tired

It has been a tiring week...physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I've had a lot of things to do this week that I don't normally have. An extra worship service on Ash Wednesday, getting things together for the Lent small groups that start tomorrow, trying to hire a new person in the nursery at church, and a death in the congregation and all that goes with it.

Usually, I am able to find some time during the week to rest. Most weeks, I have either Friday or Saturday off from church responsibilities - sometimes both days. Plus I find little opportunities during the week to relax, usually in the evening with Nancy but also here and there. This week, though, I worked all day on Friday and a good bit of the day today. I wasn't able to find nearly as many times during the week to take a break and rest.

In the Christian community, we have a word for this idea of taking a break and resting: sabbath. Different branches of the Christian family tree have varied views and practices of sabbath, but I think it is part of what all of believe we should be doing. It is one of the Ten Commandments, after all!

This week, I have once again been reminded of the importance of this practice and discipline. I am worn out, and I pray that I have enough in me for worship tomorrow morning. Afterwards, I think I may take a nap! Be sure to take the time you need to rest and be renewed.

1 comment:

SpeasHill said...

And he is taking a nap now. Good for you, John Hill!