Thursday, March 4, 2010

Getting Out of the Way

An important lesson that I've had to learn as a pastor and leader - and that I need to be reminded of often - is that sometimes the best thing I can do is simply to get out of the way. Personally, I have a tendancy to be a little bit of a control-freak and hold things close to the vest, and that is not always (or probably even usually) the best way to lead. I have to work on letting other people lead and take responsibility as well as allowing God to work through situations without my interference.

This morning, I was reminded of my need to get out of the way. My original plan for the day was to spend most of it visiting some of our homebound members. However, the daughter of one of our church members is pregnant and in the hospital in Nashville with pre-eclampsia and is in a situation fairly similar to Nancy's when Becca was born. My first instinct was that I needed to drop my original plans and go down there and be with the family. But, Nancy said she wanted to go instead. This, then, presented an issue: with Becca, how can Nancy go to the hospital while I am working? Nancy suggested that she take Becca with her, but we decided that wasn't a very good option (even though Becca probably wouldn't be on a wing of contagious people - the hospital is still not the best place for her these days). We tried calling someone to keep her, but that didn't work. Then we realized that I could take Becca on some of my visits! And the folks we visited together were absolutely thrilled!

This morning I was reminded that being a pastor doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that I am the one doing all the ministry. I didn't need to be the one to go to the hospital. Nancy will do a much better job than I would at providing pastoral care and identifying with the family during this difficult time. Becca was able to bring much more joy into the lives of some of our homebound members than I am able to bring on my own. Even at the WOW meeting last night, different people were given different jobs and tasks to help make this ministry come to fruition. That is how ministry should work: all of us doing our part that God has gifted us for and given us the grace to do. Let's hope I can continue to manage to get out of the way and let the work of God's ministry happen!

No comments: