Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I wore my green shirt today so that I wouldn't get pinched. St. Patrick was a clergyman in the 5th century sent from England to Ireland. As a boy, he had been captured and enslaved in Ireland for 6 years. He escaped and went back to England and became a priest, only to be called by God to return to Ireland years later. Legendarily, he is also said to have rid Ireland of snakes. This may have a more symbolic meaning of converting the Druids or rooted out the heretical beliefs of the Pelagians. So, in honor of St. Patrick, I thought I might share a few words about the Pelagians.

The Pelagian controversy/heresy began in the fourth century and was condemned by the church in the fifth century. In essence, Pelagians claim that we don't really need the grace of God; instead, through sheer force of will and determination, we are able to live good and moral lives free from sin. For them, original sin is more about a bad example that was set for us by Adam and Eve than about our actual state or status as human beings. And the work of Christ is more about setting for us a good example rather than actually imparting to us his righteousness.

Now, don't get me wrong, I certainly believe that part of what Jesus Christ set out to do was to show us a more excellent way to live, but he did much more than that! And I also believe that we can do no good things apart from the grace of God, but as a good Wesleyan, I am convinced in the reality of God's prevenient grace in our lives. God's grace is always with us, even before we realize or have any notion that God exists, and enables and empowers us to make moral decisions and to do good deeds. And then, as we grow in the knowledge and love of God, that grace grows within us and spurs us on toward acting completely out of selfless love - something that we are incapable of doing all on our own.

So, on this March 17th, I am thankful for St. Patrick and for God's grace that constantly surrounds me.

No comments: