Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sermon Series - Please Vote!

I like to preach in sermon series. For those of you who attend BUMC, this is fairly obvious. For those of you who don't and aren't familiar with the sermon series, it means that I preach a number of sermons in a row on the same topic. Currently, I am preaching a three-week series about Spiritual Gifts. The various topics/titles are "Given by God for a Purpose," "Identifying Them," and "Using Them." Some previous sermon series from the last year have included the book of Ephesians, Characters of Christmas, Mission: Possible, Doing What Jesus Did, This We Believe, Stories from the Start, and He Lives.

Part of what I like about sermon series is that they necessitate some intentionality and prior planning on my part. You can't just "wing it" when doing a series of sermons on the same topic. In many ways, the planning and implementation of these series has become a spiritual discipline for me - one that I think is bearing fruit in my own life and in the life of our congregation.

I have my sermon topics planned through Easter Sunday and would like to begin looking toward the later part of spring into summer for worship and sermon planning. And I would love some help from you Bethpage folks! I have created a poll on this blog for you to vote for what you would like for the next sermon series to be. Now, I'm not promising I will do whatever gets the most votes. I have to do what I feel like God is leading me to do. But I certainly have faith in God's ability and propensity to lead me through what the congregation is desiring and needs. So, if you are a BUMC person, please take a moment to look at the poll in the column to the right and vote for what you think the next sermon series should be. These are your options:

The Beatitudes
Seven Deadly Sins
The Smallest Books in the Bible
The Will of God
The Lord's Prayer
Old Testament Royalty
ReThink Church













1 comment:

Emily. :) said...

Mom says: 7 deadly sins or ReThink Church

I say: SHORT BUS!! :)