Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wedding

This evening, Nancy and I went to the wedding of our good friend from seminary named Billy Kilgore. He married a wonderful young woman named Cara Doige at Vine Street Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Nashville. It was a lovely service, and it was so great to see some of our friends from seminary. We had a fantastic time catching up with them and simply enjoying the company of good folks.

Going to Billy's wedding made me think of our own, which was nearly 5 years ago now. In fact, it will be 5 years in August, and we are planning a little trip to Chicago for it (my friend Kelly from college is getting married there then too!). Nancy and I have been through a lot over the last 4 and a half years: Becca's traumatic birth and hospital stay, 2 big moves (oh the joys of being Methodist!), adopting 2 dogs, the death of multiple grandparents, several job changes, and so much more. I don't know if we really knew what we were getting into when we got married!

But one thing I have learned about marriage is that you just have to stick with it. Sometimes it is thrilling and careful, but other times is tedious and stressful. In the end, though, you always have someone you can count on to be there for you and you for them, through thick and thin. You have a life partner, whatever good or bad life may bring your way. Marriage is hard, probably the hardest thing I do, but rarely in life are the easy things the most worthwhile. So, today I am thankful for my wife Nancy, and I am thankful for Billy and Cara and pray that God's grace will be upon them as they forge a life together.

No comments: