Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Way Back Wednesday

I am pumped for our church's Saturday Night Alive! at the end of this week. I went to Agape's (our praise band) practice tonight to talk through a few things for Holy Week, and got to listen to them practice for Saturday. They sounded great and it is going to be a lot of fun! Most of the songs were popular Christian songs when I was in school, so I am especially fond of them. And they not your straight-up praise and worship songs, which is what most of the Christian music is today. Praise and worship is great, but I miss the good old days (you know, 10-15 years ago) when Christian music was more about thought-provoking lyrics and good instrumentation. Bands like Jars of Clay, Caedmon's Call, Third Day, and Audio Adrenaline were putting out great records. This music helped to shape me and my faith, much more than the present-day praise and worship craze.

So, I am looking forward to Saturday and getting to hear and sing some of my old favorites: Flood, Petrified Heart, Thankful, These Thousand Hills, and more. There is something about the music of your youth that is special and never leaves you. I'm glad that much of mine was from wonderful Christian artists, and that we can still sing them today!

2 comments:

SpeasHill said...

I hear the speaker is pretty good as well.

Emily. :) said...

I love how you talk about these being "the olden days" and I knew all of the songs you listed and all the artists. :P it's not THAT old.

I heard the speaker was good as well. I wonder if that speaker is gonna have a certain reference form filled out....